In recent years we have seen Sony steadily improving the capability of its APS-C cameras. For stills photographers the A6400 APS-C camera showed just how serious Sony was to inject some advanced technologies into the cropped sensor lineup. This has followed through with the release of the A6100 and A6600 cameras. We will now have cutting-edge AF tracking across all three price points in the APS-C range. Think of these new cameras as replacing the ageing AF systems found in the A6000, A6300 and A6500. Obviously the new flagship model (the A6600) will be the pick of the bunch with its Z series battery and large buffer.
What has, however, been lacking over recent years is for Sony to design quality semi-pro lenses to support APS-C users who value light weight and portability of the APS-C cameras over the IQ of the full frame cameras. Two of the three APS-C lenses I hoped to see have now been announced. An f/2.8 general purpose zoom (which promises to be a serious upgrade to the ageing 16-70 F/4 Zeiss) and the 70-350 mm telephoto zoom. It is the latter of these two lenses that I have personally been waiting for. Having to test the AF tracking capabilities of the A6400 and A6600 cameras using the full frame FE 70-200 F/4 G just doesn’t seem right. My wish was for a telephoto lens that had more reach (at least to a 400 mm equivalent zoom) but with possibly less weight than the FE 70-200 F/4 G. It appears my wishes were answered. The E 55-210 Lens is a small and sharp telephoto lens but I cannot use it for capturing fast action. The new 70-350 lens has a fast AF motor so promises to be able to deliver in capturing fast action.
Here is the official news about these two new lenses.
Sony announced two new APS-C zoom lenses in the G Lens series for its E-mount line-up, including the E 16-55mm F2.8 G standard zoom lens and the E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens. With this announcement, Sony’s versatile E-mount system now features a total of 54 lenses. Along with the two newly launched APS-C mirrorless cameras (Alpha 6600) and (Alpha 6100), Sony’s APS-C range has been further strengthened, offering creators the ability to capture the desired moment with Sony’s advanced technologies in compact and lightweight camera bodies. Sony’s “One Mount” solution for both APS-C and full-frame cameras provides creators an extreme amount of versatility for all of their photography and video needs.
“The launch of these two new lenses demonstrates Sony’s commitment to building our E-mount line-up, both in full-frame as well as APS-C – taking our total “One Mount” suite up to 54 lenses” said Jun Yoon, Head of Digital Imaging Sony ANZ. “With these APS-C lens and body announcements, Sony has added to its ever-growing range of cameras and lenses to suit all photography levels and empower content creators to capture incredible imagery and express their perspectives.”
Ultra-sharp APS-C E 16-55mm F2.8 G standard zoom lens (model SEL1655G)
The 16-55mm (24-82.5mm in 35mm equivalent focal length) APS-C standard zoom with a constant F2.8 aperture offers excellent G Lens image quality with outstanding all-around performance. This lens is ideal for professionals as well as enthusiasts to capture landscapes, portraits, and everyday snapshots.
- High corner-to-corner resolution throughout the zoom range even at F2.8
- Two AA (advanced aspherical) and two aspherical elements suppress aberration for outstanding corner-to-corner G Lens resolution, while three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements reduce chromatic aberration and colour bleeding to a minimum
- Clear and high image quality by suppressing flare and ghosting by adoption of Nano AR coating
- 9-blade circular aperture mechanism and precisely controlled spherical aberration ensure beautiful bokeh
● Bright constant F2.8 optics in a compact, lightweight lens weighing just 494 grams
● XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motor – as equipped in G Master™ series lenses – utilised for fast, precise, quiet AF and tracking
- Professional control and reliability
- Customisable focus hold button for instantaneous operation
- Linear Response MF for fine, responsive manual focus control
- Dust and moisture resistant design in order to deal with difficult outdoor conditions
- Fluorine coated front element to resist dirt and fingerprints
Compact and lightweight APS-C E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS super-T\telephoto zoom Lens (model SEL70350G)
The new E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens with optimised optical and mechanical design provides excellent G Lens image quality throughout the image area, right out to the maximum 350mm (105-525mm in 35mm equivalent) focal length. High optical performance is combined with the convenience and mobility of a compact, lightweight design even with 5x zoom. It also includes built-in optical image stabilisation which adds even further stability and convenience to this versatile super-telephoto zoom that is ideal for landscape and wildlife photographers.
- Excellent corner-to-corner G Lens image quality all the way to 350mm
- One aspherical lens suppresses optical aberration and provide outstanding resolution from corner-to-corner
- Three ED glass elements effectively arranged suppress chromatic aberration and control colour blur even at corners
- Circular aperture contributes to soft, beautiful bokeh
● Compact, lightweight design weighing just 625 grams makes this 5x super-telephoto zoom remarkably mobile
● Sony’s advanced XD Linear Motor technology in an APS-C format lens, for fast, precise AF and tracking
- Excellent control and reliability
- Built-in Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilisation makes it easier to capture images with greatly reduced blur, particularly when shooting at super-telephoto focal lengths
- A conveniently placed focus hold button can be assigned to a variety of functions via camera body
- An AF/MF focus mode switch on the lens makes it easy to quickly switch between auto and manual focus to respond to changing shooting needs
- Engage the zoom lock switch to prevent the lens from extending under its own weight during transportation
- Dust and moisture resistant design