This Australian review of Sony’s FE 400 F/2.8 GM lens was conducted over 5 days and features Australian Dogs, Australian Rules Football and Australian Birds.
The images for this lens review were from four test shoots using the Sony FE 400 F/2.8 GM
The images were mostly captured at, or near, the maximum aperture of the lens with fast shutter speeds to showcase the AF performance and the figure/ground separation that can be achieved using this lens. One of the shoots (the running dog with no sunlight) was conducted in low ambient light to showcase the AF performance at high ISO.
The lens may appear to be a bit of a beast but it was mostly hand-held for the vast majority of the images captured – due to the fact that it is a kilo lighter than the competition and the lens elements are closer to the rear of the lens making hand-holding the lens for extended periods of time possible. Combine the light weight of the lens with a mirrorless body that is half a kilo lighter than a Canon 1DX MKII or Nikon D5 and this combo is a veritable feather-weight!!
Ultra-HD Image Gallery: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmpXg1cy
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Extremely Lightweight: 6.4 lb / 2.9 kg
- Rear-Weighted Design for Better Balance
- Dual XD Motors for Faster Focus/Tracking
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
- 3 Fluorite Elements, 1 ED Element
- Nano AR Coating, 11-Blade Diaphragm
- Power Focus & OSS
- Weather-Sealed; Rotating Tripod Collar
- Zhongda (Sam) Wang for the DJI Drone and Gimbal Work footage.
- Jake the Australian Kelpie and his owners David and Christine.
- The Staff at Healesville Sanctuary
- AFL Australia
- Music: ‘Industrial Cinematic’ and ‘The Complex’ by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)