This movie tutorial covers the camera settings I use for capturing shallow depth of field portraits using an 85mm prime lens or Pro Zoom.
The settings are suitable for both the A7RIII and A9 cameras and include the following settings:
- Recommended shooting Mode and Aperture
- File Format and File Type
- Drive Mode, Focus Mode and Focus Area
- Face Priority, Face Registration, Order Exchanging, Register Face Priority
- Exposure Settings including ISO, ISO AUTO Min SS
- Focus Assist Settings
- Assigning Custom Keys and Function menus
- Storing the settings in a memory and recalling them via the Shooting Mode dial
- Choosing a Face to precisely target the Eye-AF
- Purchase the 85 F/1.8 Full Frame Portrait lens featured in this presentation from Sony Australia: FE 85mm F1.8
Mark Galer is a Global Imaging Ambassador for Sony, an experienced educator and an Imaging Ambassador for Adobe. As well as public speaking he offers training in the form of creative workshops and one-on-one training.
2 thoughts on “Camera Settings for Shooting Portraits – Sony Alpha A7RIII and A9”
Happy New Year from Gold Canyon in Arizona.
I just the other day perused your website and am impressed with your website and the articles and videos. And signed up to receive whatever you choose to share. Owning a 7II and ready to go for the 7RIII your way to describe the new camera are just perfect for me. All the Best for 2018, Manfred Helsper
Welcome to my website and thanks for the positive feedback 🙂 I hope you find lots of resources to help your creative photography. Keep an eye on the blog as I will be posting many articles in the coming weeks and months.
Comments are closed.